Our ministry and service to the world and our community is what we call “missions.” It involves sharing the love of Jesus Christ in word and deed through a variety of activities. Missions is a strong core value of our church, as you will see below in the list of our major involvements:
- Vietnam – Children of Peace International (COPI) –We support the work of COPI in Vietnam to provide medical clinics to the disabled, orphaned, underprivileged, and at-risk children by sending bi-annual medical teams and financially supporting indigenous work. Through the years, Good Shepherd has helped to build orphanages, HIV centers, vocational schools, transitional homes, and medical clinics.
- Russia – Eastern European Mission Network (EEMN) – We support of the work of EEMN in Russia and former Soviet Union partnering with the Ingrian Lutheran Church of Russia and Lutheran churches to provide mission support through the rebuilding of churches and promotion of Christian summer camps through English Language Camps. Through the years, Good Shepherd has ministered in prisons, orphanages, schools, and churches to provide Christian Sports Camps and Language Camps.
- Mexico – Mexico Mission International (MMI) – Partnering with Pastor Enrique Estrada in Monterrey, Mexico we are beginning our new work of the encouragement and building of new Lutheran Congregation in Mission for Christ (LCMC) congregations in Monterrey, Mexico through Vacation Bible School , medical, and optical outreaches in their community. Through the years, we have sent many construction and youth teams.
- Royal Family KIDS – This ministry is for children within or who have been in the Utah Foster Care System. Royal Family KIDS of Good Shepherd Lutheran Church provides an annual, week-long Christian summer camp for these children. Starting in the Fall of 2011 we are adding Royal Family KIDS Club and Mentoring for kids from camp. This program will operate during the school year following camp. There will be monthly club meetings/activities and 1-on-1 mentoring with a trained mentor for 4 hours per month. Check Royal Family KIDS web site for more details.
- Mentoring Program – An outgrowth of the RFKC mission, the Mentoring Program matches Christian adults with maturing foster kids to help coach and train with life skills so that they are equipped and confident to transition out of foster care into independent living.
- T.H.E. Milestone – Also an outgrowth of RFKC and in partnership with Salt Lake County and the State of Utah foster program and housing authorities, this is “The Transitional Experience Milestone” project, which offers qualified youth living quarters, in a safe environment, as a training and intermediate step to prepare for independent living. At the age of 18, foster care youth are released from the state’s guardianship. We desire to partner with these youth to enable their successful transition into the community.
- Family Promise – In partnership with other churches from the area, Good Shepherd opens its doors to Family Promise-qualified families with small children to live and sleep within its facilities. These families are temporarily homeless and would otherwise be living in shelters or on the street. They simply need a safe environment and time and stability to find consistent work, skill training, and save money to rent an apartment. Many have sat and enjoyed a meal with our guests and enjoyed their company as well as delighted in conversation.
- Homeless Ministry – Every 3rd Sunday of the month, Good Shepherd members bring sandwiches, fruit, clothing, etc. to the Catholic Community Services dining room and help to service the evening meal, wait on tables, engage the guests in conversation, and minister through prayer. We are known for the best and largest variety of deli-quality sandwiches made throughout the entire valley.
- Parish Nursing – Our qualified nurses offer frequent health fairs to the community (blood pressure, diabetes checks, flu shots, medical counseling, etc.) and attend to the health needs of our homebound.
- Scouting Programs – Good Shepherd is the proud sponsoring organization of several Boy Scout, Cub Scout, and Girl Scout troops, which meet on Monday nights.
- Pregnancy Resource Center (PRC) – Our partnership with PRC helps to provide ultrasounds, pregnancy tests, counseling, and prenatal care to women, offering the alternative of life than abortion.
- AA Groups – Two Alcoholics Anonymous groups host meetings at Good Shepherd: one on Fridays @ 8 p.m. (closed group), the other on Saturdays @ 5 p.m. (open to all).
- Angel Tree & Shepherd’s Angels – This is our annual Christmas outreach to families with small children who are in financial need within our community. These children often have incarcerated parents and/or live in impoverished conditions.
- Via de Cristo – This is a nationwide renewal movement among Lutheran churches. Held once or twice a year (Fall/Spring), these weekend retreats (Thur. evening to Sunday afternoon) provide intense experiences of Christian fellowship, community, teaching, and grace. Those who have participated in a Via de Cristo weekend are profoundly blessed.
- Standing Together – Good Shepherd partners with Standing Together, a local para-church ministry that serves the state of Utah and acts as a catalyst to draw churches together in joint partnership with one another in evangelistic outreaches. The last joint outreach was “Life Without Limits” (Fall 2009).
- Christian Youth Network (CYN) – This is a network of valley-wide youth pastors and leaders who meet to share ideas and plan joint events like the annual “Spring Fling.”
- InterVarsity Christian Fellowship – University of Utah – We support InterVarsity’s outreach to students at the University of Utah campus to grow in Christ through social events, retreats, and weekly bible studies.
Neighborhood Events (hosted by Good Shepherd)
- Sandy Symphony and Orchestra
- Chorale Groups
- Suzuki Method Workshops
- Swap Meet (Fall & Spring)
- Artists Boutique